Nottingham Playhouse Young Critics, (previously called Critics’ Circle), meet fortnightly, giving young people aged 14 – 25 the opportunity to see Nottingham Playhouse productions for free and to consider and analyse what they have seen through a written review and discussion forums.
Young Critics is led by professional Nottingham writer Sara Bodinar, who has worked with film studios and TV production companies all over the world, is a script editor to Amazon best-selling authors, commissioned playwright, and a former Nottingham Post columnist. The Young Critics also meet other established writers and critics.
At fortnightly meetings, including attending Nottingham Playhouse press nights, the Young Critics watch shows, take part in writing skills sessions, share responses and learn from professional writers and one another.
The group’s work is shown on our website, and in other public arenas when possible.
Young Critics is aimed at:
1. Young people keen to develop their writing and critical thinking skills.
2. Students enrolled in creative writing / journalism / media courses within Nottingham universities and colleges.
3. Young people looking for guidance and development towards breaking into professional review writing.
In a typical meeting the Young Critics will:
• Gain notes on their individual reviews.
• Sharpen their critical skills.
• Debate with one another in their responses to the play.
• Understand there are many ways to express an idea or develop an argument and that multiple strategies can be employed to solve a writing problem.
The Young Critics are all guided through their Bronze Arts Award as part of their sessions – meaning they all gain a recognised qualification.
There are 5 sessions per term, running from 5 – 7pm, in many cases this will then be followed by watching a show for free. The cost for a full term is £50 including tickets to the show.
The cost for the remainder of the term is £10 (one session) – including free tickets to the show.
Dates for this term:
Mon 25th Nov: Sleeping Beauty
Dates for next term:
Tues 25th Feb: Moonlight & Magnolias
Friday 3rd April: Private Peaceful
Tues 21st April: Oliver Twist
Tues 12th May: Piaf
Tues 9th June: First Touch
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reviews by Young Critics
We regularly post reviews from the group here so keep an eye for what they think of our current season.