Making a Bigger Splash! with East Midlands SEND Schools
We recently worked with The Mighty Creatives to shake up the region with Splash! a participatory arts programme held around the waterways of the region, led by the world renowned inclusive street performance company, Extraordinary Bodies. We made waves through arts organisations, schools, businesses and families across the region and loved having everyone on board.
The programme aimed to:
- provide high quality artistic engagement opportunities for children and young people with learning disabilities and their families;
- place a disabled and D/deaf aesthetic at the heart of the audience development and creative production process;
- challenge non-disabled audiences perceptions of what children and young people with learning disabilities can achieve;
- increase employment of disabled artists;
- engage new audiences in civic spaces which are perceived as inaccessible;
- provide opportunities for artistic collaboration and skills development between disability arts specialists and theatre companies across the region;
- connect with local cultural education partnerships (LCEPs) in order to improve the cultural education for children and young people with learning disabilities provision across the region;
- increase participation in Artsmark by SEND Schools across the East Midlands.
Splash! received Arts Council Strategic Touring Funding and has become a nationally recognised piece of work. When the project launched, Peter Knott, Area Director, Arts Council England, said:
“We want to encourage everyone to be inspired by great art, and creating and touring a project like this helps make art and culture available to everyone. We can’t wait to see some of the exciting work Splash! will create around the waterways, celebrating the people and stories that make the East Midlands a diverse and unique place to live.”
To find our more contact Rebecca, Audience and Community Engagement Manager on email@example.com.