15 Facts about the Playhouse
Think you know all there is to know about Nottingham Playhouse? Have a read of our fun facts and learn some new Playhouse trivia!
1. The organisation was founded in 1948.
2. We were originally a repertory theatre, which means a resident company of actors would perform all our shows.
3. Anish Kapoor’s Sky Mirror, which stands outside our building, was built in 2001 and cost £900,000.
4. A young Ian McKellen starred as Tullus Aufidius in our production of Coriolanus.
5. He returned to the theatre in 2019 for a performance about his life and career, raising £50,000 for the venue. (We’re a registered charity, don’t you know!)
6. We’ve been known to make people fly and also create rain on stage.
7. We are one of the last remaining theatres in the country to make a lot of our own props, sets and costumes, with most of the work being done on site by our fabulous production team.
8. We have a props store full of items from previous shows that can be re-used or adapted for new productions. Some items date back to the 1960s!
9. Pantomime is always our biggest production of the year and work never stops on creating our festive show! Even before one panto closes, we’re on sale with the following year and work is already beginning on the production.
10. Other famous stars to tread our boards include Dame Judi Dench, Hugh Grant and Rosamund Pike.
11. In 2018, we produced The Madness of George III. It was our biggest ever drama and starred Mark Gatiss and Adrian Scarborough.
12. To research for the role, Gatiss went to visit the Royal Library at Windsor and saw papers written by the King.
13. Did you see our production of Assassins? This show was packed with talented ‘Actor-Musicians’ – a term for actors who not only act and sing in a musical, but play all the music too. They were a talented bunch!
14. More than just a theatre, we run a huge range of participation programmes, including 14 youth theatres which happen across the city every week.
15. We have an artist development programme called Amplify, which aims to support local artists in their careers. Our Amplify Creative Associates are Lewis Doherty, Major Labia and Ben Norris. Have you seen any of their work at the Playhouse?
All the latest news
Head over to our News section to have a read of all our latest updates.