Here you can see all our upcoming opportunities and events.
If they’re live you can book by clicking on the links or save the date. Updates will go out here and in our regular Amplify Updates.
New Writing Development Opportunity Guide for Applicants
Following on from the success of our inaugural Take Off opportunity in 2019, this new new-writing development opportunity aims to support writers in their careers to get feedback, raise their profile, connect them with opportunities and organisations and support them to help themselves in the future. You’ll get the chance to workshop your script with a professional director, without the pressure of final production.
The Development Opportunity
This opportunity is for a Midland’s writer who is developing a new piece of work. It incorporates rehearsal space at Arena Theatre in Wolverhampton with a week of rehearsal space at Nottingham Playhouse.
• £1000 writer’s fee
• Opportunity to work with a director
• Opportunity to workshop the piece with two actors
• A week of rehearsal space at Arena Theatre with informal sharing
• A week of rehearsal space at Nottingham Playhouse with an informal sharing.
What We Are Looking For
• A completed script lasting 45-60 minutes (although this may not be the final draft).
• For 1-2 actors.
• A writer who has some experience of writing for stage although may never have had a full production of their work.
• Someone who is willing to receive feedback on their writing and wanting to develop their craft significantly.
In Good Company is committed to increasing opportunities and support for all and this being reflected on our stages. We recognise the need within ‘all’ to be diverse and representative of the world we live in today.
‘All’ includes (but is not exclusively):
• People of colour
• People from non-British backgrounds
• Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Queer people
• Gender diverse people
• People from working class backgrounds
• D/deaf and disabled people (including hidden disabilities)
Please send ten pages of your script alongside a short synopsis of the full play (200 words).
A panel consisting of the IGC Creative Producer, Artistic Director at Arena Theatre and the Artist Development Producer at Nottingham Playhouse will review applications.
Shortlisted writers will have the opportunity to attend a development session on the 30th April from which we will select the successful writer.
Due to the high number of applications that we anticipate, we are unfortunately unable to give individual feedback to every application. However, we will announce the selected writers a short while after the deadline including a statement of selection.
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include contact details, including phone number, email address and postal address).
Deadline for applications: 11.59PM 3rd April 2020
If you are shortlisted, you will be invited to attend a workshop development day from which one piece will be selected which will take place on 30th April at Forman Street in Derby (Derby Theatre’s offsite rehearsal space).
The successful applicant will be given:
Workshop week at Nottingham Playhouse 14th – 19th September with an informal sharing at the end of the week.
Workshop week at Arena Theatre, Wolverhampton 12th-16th October with an informal sharing on the 20th October.
Other Useful Information
Before you submit a script to us, it is important you acquaint yourself with the organisations involved. This should give you a better feel for what we are looking for. We want you to have ambition for your work both in the short and long term, whilst also being deliverable and we want to know how we can play a part in that, but also how you can support the wider community of artists and get to know what is happening across the region.
It is also important that you consider when writing your synopsis that we are looking to understand the content of the play and we are not looking for marketing copy.
SPRING IDEAS SUBMISSIONS WINDOW
The Amplify Spring ideas submissions window will open at 10am on 2 March 2020 and will close at 10am on 3 April 2020.
We know that theatre is made in numerous ways and we’re interested in reading and hearing about exciting and dynamic ideas. We will take the best ideas/material and look at bespoke ways of developing these projects.
What can I submit?
You can submit anything that’s a creative idea for performance. It could be a pitch, a proposal, a treatment or a script.
You will need to join Amplify if not already a member. You can do that here: https://bit.ly/2I4rSkf
Submitting a Script
We’re looking for writers with an interesting voice, the ability to tell a good story and an understanding of stagecraft – how this story works as a play.
For this initial stage, sending us a sample of your script gives us an indication of genre, your writing style, and ear for dialogue. The synopsis tells us the story you’re interesting in telling and how you handle structure.
• Please choose the best 10 pages to submit in either pdf / word format. Please check that each page is numbered and the title of the play is on every page. Please remove names so we can read these anonymously. If you submit a whole script we will only read the first 10 pages.
• Please also upload a brief synopsis of your play (no longer than 1 side of A4) in either Word/PDF format. This should have the title of your play but no name of the writer on it. This could be written as prose or bullet points.
Submitting an Idea Other Than a Script
You can submit your idea as a document or a link to a video, audio or a website.
This should tell us what you want to make, what you need to make it, any development of the project so far and any other support you’ve had.
We’re interested in the story or themes you’re exploring and the theatrical way in which you tackle these.
• Documents should be no more than 5 pages. They can be submitted in Word/PDF format. Each page should be numbered and have the title.
• If submitting a link to a video or audio, we will only be able to watch/listen up to 6 minutes or the first 6 minutes.
We’re not looking for exciting marketing copy describing themes, we want to know the story and get a feeling for the work you’re looking to make.
We really want to actively encourage a wide range of applications to reflect the diversity of the East Midlands on and off our stages. We are committed to providing platforms for all. ‘All’ includes (but is not exclusively): People of colour, People from Non-British backgrounds, Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Queer people, women and gender-diverse people, people from working class backgrounds, D/deaf and disabled people (including hidden disabilities).
We can provide an alternative way to apply if you feel forms are a barrier to accessing Amplify opportunities. Please make initial contact via email email@example.com or ring 0115 8736246
Responses to submissions will be made in June 2020.
Submit your ideas here: https://form.jotformeu.com/92543101051341
Artist Development Opportunities from other organisations
There are other brilliant organisations supporting artists in many ways. Please keep an eye on this page for regular updates on opportunities for developing your work.