Gecko is delighted to have been awarded Strategic Touring Funding from Arts Council England, to support their production of The Wedding on its tour which will be coming to Nottingham Playhouse in spring 2018. We are looking for one local artist, with a strong enthusiasm in physical theatre and movement, who would value the opportunity to work alongside Gecko, Nottingham Playhouse and the local community, to bring the exciting and vibrant work of Gecko to the City of Nottingham.
DO YOU FIT THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA?
• Have experience of dance and/or physical theatre (either as a performer/ director/ choreographer or have completed training in one of these fields)
• Experience or a strong interest in devised work and a passion for creating new work
• Experience or a strong interest in education and outreach work, and for facilitating work within his/her local community
• Be available for the following key dates under the ‘Artist Duties’ section below.
We strongly encourage applications from BAME artists and those from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
• Attend a training event 25-27 September 2017 (in Ipswich, transport and accommodation covered). You will work with Gecko’s devising performers and the company’s Artistic and Associate Directors. The training will provide an introduction to Gecko’s style of physical theatre and devising through practical workshops, and you will also be trained in Gecko’s style of facilitation.
• 2.5 day workshop in Nottingham across a weekend in November 2017, exact dates TBC. The local artist will co-deliver, with two Gecko practitioners, a workshop for a group of 18-24 year olds from the local community, specifically tailored to those currently under-engaged with the arts and those from refugee and migrant backgrounds. The residency will focus on the themes of social cohesion raised in The Wedding.
• During the performance run of The Wedding at Nottingham Playhouse (Thursday 1, Friday 2 and Saturday 3 February 2018); to watch at least one performance of The Wedding, take part in the post-show panel discussion with the Artistic Director and other members of The Wedding company and to co-deliver a half day audience workshop on the themes raised in the show (on Saturday 3 February 2018).
• Contribute time to the planning of the residency and workshop and feed into the evaluation process of the project as a whole where necessary.
The local artist will work closely with Gecko and be a representative of Nottingham Playhouse for the project. This brilliant experience will give an artist the chance to explore the work of a leading physical theatre company as well as providing a unique development opportunity for those wishing to develop their own theatre making practices and community and outreach work.
The local associate artist role is paid. The following breakdown:
• £360 for the three day training event in September (£120 per day). Accommodation in Ipswich either to be arranged and paid for by Gecko, or the artist will be provided overnight subs at £54.80 for two to three nights along with per diems. In this instance a digs list will be provided. Transport will be booked by Gecko.
• £360 for co-leading the 2.5 day workshop in Nottingham with local participants (3 days at £120).
• £60 for the half day audience workshop at Nottingham Playhouse on Saturday 3 February 2018.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your CV and covering letter to email@example.com (please send as a word document, do not use file sharing services such as Sky Drive), or by post marked ‘Private and Confidential’ to Alex Moxon, Nottingham Playhouse, Wellington Circus, Nottingham NG1 5AF. Please mark your envelope Ref: LAA. Deadline for completed applications is Thursday 24 August 2017 at 5pm. Informal interviews will take place at Nottingham Playhouse on Wednesday 30 August 2017; please ensure you are available on this date.
If you would like an informal chat about this opportunity, please feel free to contact: Alex Moxon (Participation Department) on 0115 9474361.